D'Corazon

 

That sweet, sweet Arizona Trail

Vacation.

That's been a seldom used word in our house over the past twelve months. We've definitely escaped for long weekends and spent time away from the house in 2020 for a variety of biking related escapades, but a 'vacation' was never really had by either of us. Until now.

Last week Kristen and I drove down to the Tucson area of Arizona to spend a week with her wonderful mom Pam and partner Rich. We've pushed this vacation off for a number of reasons and changed the original plan multiple times, but we finally penned in some dates and made it happen. 


Some riding, some hiking, some shopping, some exploring, lots of eating and most importantly spending time with family. We also got to spend an afternoon riding with my good friend Jay. He's living his best life out of his van, and has been for a couple of years now. 

Thanks to a posting on his website/blog/vlog (check it out!): https://journeyvision.net/ I saw he was outside of Tucson and shot him a message. A couple of days later we're riding and having a cold beer with him in 70 degree temps. Always a pleasure to see him and his energy as well as catch up about some new news for the both of us.

Sometimes riding isn't about fitness or a destination or a goal, but rather therapeutic. The bike lets me escape this world like a drug. It lets me forget the problems, the pain, the sorrow, the 'realness' that life can deliver. Having to focus on something like piloting a bike at speed helps to block out everything for a bit. 

This was one of those rides for me. 

It wasn't more than 24 hours earlier that I received a call from my brother to let me know that my aunt Carol was being taken off life support back in Minnesota after a long battle with complications that started with a broken femur and ended with her contracting covid, which ultimately took her respiratory system down. 

Fuck.

She, along with my Grandmother whom we lost last year, we more than amazing people. MORE THAN AMAZING. Their love and care and cooking and hospitality and hugs and kisses and recipes and knowledge and understanding and unwavering commitment to family. The glue that binds to say the least and I'm lucky to have the time with her that I got. 

The amount of recipes in my cookbook that start with: 'Carol's ______," prove that she will live on forever in our cooking and our hearts. 

The hardest part of all is not being able to attend her funeral, not being able to hug family, not being able to celebrate her with everyone else. Thankfully there is a live-stream setup for Tuesday's funeral, just not the same. 

Ugh the hits just keep coming this year.


 On-X valve. $7k in my palm

So for the most part vacation was a 'vacation' and we were both able to get some headspace cleared and enjoy ourselves despite the bad news. 

I didn't think too much about valves while we were down in AZ but as soon as we started driving home I couldn't help but start thinking of the reality I was coming back to and the questions I had for the surgeon.

I had my meeting with Dr. Brants on Thursday morning to discuss my condition (from his view point) as well as the On-X mechanical valve. All of his assessments in review of my test results was inline with what the surgeons at UCHealth had talked with us about.

Dr.B is also mostly concerned with Aortic insufficiency (AI / regurgitation/ backflow) as that 48% is not good. He also explained that people typically have one condition or the other (Stenosis or Insufficiency) but not both. Well I've got both going on with the AI being severe.

We talked at length about the On-X valve and why he feels it's the obvious choice for replacement over the St Jude valve. It was a great conversation but I didn't walk away with any clear answers. I had hoped that the meeting would solidify my choice in valves and surgeons, but it didn't. It gave me more information and more things to consider but nothing that I could put all my faith into.



There are such subtle differences between the two and I'm probably splitting hairs with the minor changes the On-X has over the SJV but it's all about hemodynamics and turbulence. You know, laminar flow vs. turbulent. 

It's all about keeping the blood flowing as smoothly as possible through a valve that has moving pieces in the direct middle of that flow. The thinking is that blood that is turbulent can break down and that breaking down can cause platelets to stick together to form clots. The smoother the flow, the less chance of problems and that's where the two companies (valves) differ in their designs.

To go with the tried and true standard or go with the slightly newer design? Like I said, probably splitting hairs but when it's such a big decision and a huge operation it feels like the biggest choice I've had to make in my life. Maybe it is...



Thanks to the talents of my amazing wife we came up with a patch design! Patches for what you may ask? Well a lot of people have messaged me asking if they can help financially as the open heart surgery won't be free, even with good insurance.

Up until now I've been paying all expenses and deductibles out of pocket and I have not incurred any debt for the subsequent testing I've received, but knowing that the operation will likely cost us ten's of thousands of dollars, I decided to come up with a patch design for a fundraiser. 

If it weren't for covid, I'd have a big-'ol-party at the bike shop and as a send-off and fundraiser, but with things as they are I figured a patch aligns with my style and it will be a way to say thank you for anyone donating any amount. Details on all of that to come, but the design is with my friend Walter at Falls Creek Outfitters: https://fallscreekoutfitters.com/ (maker of all JPaks patches) so I'm hoping to see something in the coming weeks!

It's looking more and more like the operation will be a the end of March or beginning of April at the very latest, so 4-6 weeks away.
One more meeting with Dr. Reece, one more consultation with Dr. Tsvetkova and hopefully I'll be able to make a decision regarding valve choice. 

Love
-Joe

Cotopaxi edition anyone?








Comments

  1. Love the patch design!

    Keep on keeping on, you’ve got this Joe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the patch design. That laminar flow is always interesting to compute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will definitely be rocking that patch. Would make a killer tattoo also

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment